While the various table components were out being powder coated we began wiring the table. Our previous table did not have home or limit switches.
This table really only need a home switch on the Z axis for the torch height control. We may or may not use all of the switches in the future but now is the time to run the wiring.
With the Dragon Cut system from CandCNC the home switches have individual wire runs. The limit switches can be run in a series and all tied in at the one location in the control box.
Below is one of the limit switches on the right side of the x axis. We used 1/8 quick connects on the switches. We used the same switches for the limits and the homes. They are a SS-5GL2 switch with a common, normally open and a normally closed lug. The wire is 16/2 in wall speaker loomed speaker wire.
Above is a limit switch we used the same setup on the opposite side and placed the switch slightly forward and made it a home switch. Our home location is the bottom left hand corner of the table. We will use the Mach3 software to set a load material location at the top left hand corner of the table.
All of the wires were placed in heat resistant protective tube. This will provide the wires with a little extra protection and it provides for a very clean look across the entire table.
We ran our gantry limit wires across the tray and our Y axis limit switches in the channel at the front of the table. The bolts that hold the table togeather stick out about ¼ inch at the front of the table and the water pan sets up against them. This provides a ¼ inch wire run channel at the front and the back of the table. Once the water pan is in place you will never see the wires.
The white material is some 1/8 inch medium density foam sheet in which the pan will rest on. Just to minimize paint to paint contact and an air gap should water get in between the two down the road.
There is quite a bit of wiring that goes into a table. The yellow plug is for plugging in an optional router down the road. It was easier to wire it in now than later.
Here is a close up of the limit switch. I used 3m VHB tape to attach it to the rail. I’m going to test that out before drilling and taping the locations.
I did my best to keep the wire runs as clean and protected as possible. All the wire were labeled by writing on the wires with a sharpie to make trouble shooting and repairs or maintenance in the future easier.
While most of the wires are far out of the reach of sparks and heat. Using the high heat rated protective tube adds an additional margin of safety.